Thesis experiment - black hole shader & interactive particles
I did my first technical experiment for my thesis today, testing out a black hole shader and making a interactive particle system with Unreal engine running on Quest 2 headset.
The test shows a black hole shader along with a particle system which reacts to the music being played.
I followed this tutorial to make the black hole shader:
The Niagara particle which reacts to music is based on this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UETAS5g-q4M
The behavior is programmed using a Niagara module script, it takes in the amplitude of the input sound on the left and multiply it with the velocity of the particles before inputting the new values back into the particles. I experimented with different calculations values and parameters of the particles such as color and scale as well, but velocity seems to be the one that works best.
One issue I discovered with working with Quest 2 head set is that some of the shaders will not be displayed properly when running natively on the head set, such was the case with the black hole shader. Running it tethered to the pc seem to display the shaders in full quality, so I might develop my thesis project as a PCVR experience instead of a native quest app; this is probably a better way to go if I want to integrate physical components such as the Arduino as well.